[b-hebrew] Re: Hebrew month names

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Sun Aug 29 23:36:32 EDT 2004

Marianne:

The modern “Hebrew” month names are taken from the Babylonians. I have found four month names in Tanakh and not one of the names are the same as the Babylonian names. That the ancient Hebrew names are not used today (even Nehemiah used the Babylonian month names) and except for the four months named in Tanakh, I have not found any list of Hebrew month names, I have come to the conclusion that they were forgotten, at least by Jews after the Babylonian Captivity.

As for why ancient Jews forgot their month names? Any answer I could give would be speculation with a probability that it is wrong.

Karl W. Randolph.