[b-hebrew] Rabshakeh vs. Hezekiah (2 Kings 18:19-22)

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Sun Aug 29 17:37:56 EDT 2004

On 29/08/2004 00:40, Patrina wrote:

>On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 17:03:57 +0100, "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk at qaya.org>
>said:
>But
>

>>then the chief butler's misunderstanding is not surprising since his
>>culture presumably had no concept of a god who should be worshipped only
>>at one single sanctuary. But this is what YHWH had asked for, at least
>>according to the Torah, and was the attested practice from the time of
>>the Exodus at least until Solomon's day, although the location of the
>>central sanctuary varied from time to time.
>>

>>From the Exodus on?  I may be wrong, but I don't think your summation is
>correct.  Was the central sanctuary ever authorised at Gilgal where
>Samuel inaugurated the Kingship (1 Sam 10-1 Sam 11)?  Or at Bethel?
>Maybe you can tell me whether the ark was sometimes at Gilgal or Bethel?
>
>Amos didn't seem to think that these places were kosher.

In Samuel's time, after the fall of Shiloh, presumably Gligal, safely
distant from the Philistines, was used as a temporary central sanctuary
- although without the ark as the Philistines had captured it and for
some reason (perhaps because of its fatal reputation) was not returned
to a central sanctuary as soon as it was found. It was certainly one
central place where all the Israelites gathered, before a permanent
central sanctuary was built at Jerusalem. I didn't say anything about
authorisation.

Bethel was inaugurated as a shrine by Jeroboam I after the time of
Solomon, and was clearly considered unauthorised by the Jerusalem
priesthood as well as by the Judahite Amos - and of course the ark was
never there. Presumably at some time Gilgal was reinstated as a
sanctuary by the northern Israelites, and also considered unauthorised
by the Judahites. But the divided kingdom period is outside the
timescale I mentioned.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/