[b-hebrew] The Exodus' mention in Egyptian Annals ?

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Sun Aug 29 16:57:36 EDT 2004

On 29/08/2004 16:30, Joe Baker wrote:

> Peter I see you follow Rohl and have some of his material on the
> chronology of this period. Read carefully and you will see that he has
> Setnakht ruling and dying before Tausert. Now this under any condition
> is impossible. Look up tomb 14 on various websites - the best is at
> http://www.thebanmappingproject.com/. This tomb was started for
> Tausert during the reign of her step son Siptah. By the time she
> became king work was being conducted on her burial chamber. Later when
> Setnakht became king he took it over and had a second burial chamber
> dug that began where Pharaoh Tausert's ended and extended further into
> the mountain. Now as I said Rohl has Setnakht dying before the reign
> of Tausert, yet his tomb, by its very nature, must have been
> constructed after the death of Tausert.

In "From Eden to Exile" chapter 16, my only Rohl source on this period,
the dates seem to be as follows:

Rameses II 943-877
Merenptah 888(co-regent)-877 (forced to flee to Kush soon after his
father's death)
Amenmesse 877-873 (= Osarsiph, usurper backed by Asiatics)
Seti II ??-873 (co-regent with or rival of Amenmesse, died about the
same time as Amenmesse)
Siptah 873-868
Tausert 868-865 (regent from 873)
Setnakht 865-859
Rameses II 863-832 (initially as co-regent)

In this version, Setnakht (son of Merenptah) does not die before the
reign of Tausert. In fact he returns from exile in Kush and overthrows
Tausert and her Asiatic backers.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/