[b-hebrew] Mashiah

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Sun Aug 29 16:13:52 EDT 2004

On 29/08/2004 07:57, Yigal Levin wrote:

>... I don't know of a single
>place in the Tanakh where I would read the word Ma$iax to LITERALLY mean
>"Messiah" in the later sense.
>Does anyone have any examples to the contrary?

How about Daniel 9:25,26? This is a passage whose interpretation is very
controversial among Christians, and I would be rather interested to hear
what Jews make of it as well.

And then there are passages like Psalm 2:2, 132:10,17, 1 Samuel 2:10
which refer primarily to the anointed king of Israel but are taken by
many to have a secondary reference to the Messiah.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/