[b-hebrew] The Exodus' mention in Egyptian Annals ?

MarianneLuban at aol.com MarianneLuban at aol.com
Sun Aug 29 14:44:22 EDT 2004

In a message dated 8/29/2004 10:55:18 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
RGmyrken at aol.com writes:

> This mythological interpretation of Horus seems the best, most
> natural interpretation of the reference to Or in the Amenophis story IMHO.

I find this a reasonable explanation and I also gave the opinion, in my book,
that Or represented no actual pharaoh.  But my rationale was somewhat
different.  The 18th Dynasty of Manetho is the most horribly corrupted because of a
strong belief of the Jewish and Christian copiers of Manetho in only one exodus
(which Manetho obviously did not share).  So--quoting from myself "It is
difficult to say who first equated this compromised "Sethos" with Seti I, the
father of Ramesses the Great but it may have been Josephus, himself, the very
reason being that the latter believed the Jews had left Egypt so long ago that the
393 years that Manetho had specified between the migration and "Sethos also
called Ramesses" had to indicate Seti in his estimation.  In fact Seti I lived
and reigned 393 years after no exodus [not the one at the time of Ahmose I,
which Josephus connected to the BOE] even though some of the ancients attempted
to manipulate the numbers to make sense of what they thought Manetho was
trying to say.  They padded the reign of Menmaare Seti I outrageously and tinkered
with the 18th Dynasty, as well, striving mightily to get 393 years between the
exodus of one tradition or another and Seti's rule.  Yet, unfortunately, they
misunderstood their authority, Manetho, completely."

So Or is just a fictitious pharaoh interposed to add time.  Worse yet, Seti I
and his son were stuck onto the 18th Dynasty--to which they did not belong,
as Manetho would have known very well--due to all these machinations.  I blame
Josephus--as he is the earliest copier known to us and all the rest followed
him, some making little adjustments of their own.  The "Sethos" indicated by
Manetho as coming 393 years after the exodus under "Tethmosis" is none other
than Menmaare Ramesses XI--who did sit on the throne 393 years later.