[b-hebrew] The Exodus' mention in Egyptian Annals ?

MarianneLuban at aol.com MarianneLuban at aol.com
Sun Aug 29 13:45:58 EDT 2004

In a message dated 8/29/2004 8:30:47 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
joebaker at cygnus.uwa.edu.au writes:

> Marianne the reason why Josephus said that the exile occurred in the
> Egyptian month of Pharmouti is because when he wrote his work (the AD
> 80's) the Hebrew month of Nisan mostly corresponded with this Egyptian
> month.

This is likely so, but Pharmouti took place in the spring at other times,
too.  At the time of the routing of the Hysos it did--which is when Josephus
believed *the* exodus occurred.  The salient point is, though, that Josephus did
not write the Bible.  Whoever wrote the BOE said that the exodus took place in
the spring--so we have to go along with that--and take a time when Pharmouti
was in the spring.  Which it was not always.

> Peter I see you follow Rohl and have some of his material on the
> chronology of this period. Read carefully and you will see that he has
> Setnakht ruling andmonth.
>  dying before Tausert. Now this under any condition
> is impossible. Look up tomb 14 on various websites - the best is at
> http://www.thebanmappingproject.com/. This tomb was started for Tausert
> during the reign of her step son Siptah. By the time she became king
> work was being conducted on her burial chamber. Later when Setnakht
> became king he took it over and had a second burial chamber dug that
> began where Pharaoh Tausert's ended and extended further into the
> mountain. Now as I said Rohl has Setnakht dying before the reign of
> Tausert, yet his tomb, by its very nature, must have been constructed
> after the death of Tausert.

Beware, Joe, lest the wrath of the Rohlites fall upon thee! ;-(    BTW, what
Joe says is absolutely right.