[b-hebrew] Shishak

MarianneLuban at aol.com MarianneLuban at aol.com
Sat Aug 28 12:59:58 EDT 2004

In a message dated 8/27/2004 10:39:26 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
dwashbur at nyx.net writes:

> > dwashbur at nyx.net writes:
> > > "Hebrew is Hebrew."  Would you say the same thing about
> > > English?  Is modern American English the same as Middle English or
> > > Anglo-Saxon English?  This is absurd
> >
> > They are still English.  And how come I can read the Torah in Hebrew for
> > the most part when all I know is modern Hebrew?  Explain that.  If it's so
> > different.
>
> I have no idea whether you're reading with accurate comprehension, just
> sounding out words, or blowing smoke.  I haven't seen you do much of
> anything
> with Hebrew yet.  But it's obvious that any explanation that doesn't suit
> your fancy isn't going to get a real hearing.  So I'm out of this.

Yes, you do have no idea.  And what do you expect me to do with Hebrew?  Blow
smoke rings?  I have here texts in Middle Egyptian, Neo-Egyptian and
Coptic--all with varying grammar and syntax--and no slight variations.  I am pretty
much inured to such things and--believe it or not--have the intelligence and
lingusitic ability to figure them out.