[b-hebrew] Rabshakeh vs. Hezekiah (2 Kings 18:19-22)

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Sat Aug 28 12:03:57 EDT 2004

On 28/08/2004 14:41, Walter R. Mattfeld wrote:

>I get the notion that the Rabshakeh "appears" to be telling Hezekiah that
>because Hezekiah has AFFRONTED Yahweh-Elohim by tearing down Yahweh's altars
>and high places that Yahweh has sent the Assyrians to punish him, and that
>God will NOT aide him against Assyria. Any other interpretations out there ?

Sounds about right to me. I don't think it is the first recorded case of
outsiders misunderstanding the true worship of YHWH and mocking a
caricature or straw man version of it. It certainly isn't the last. But
then the chief butler's misunderstanding is not surprising since his
culture presumably had no concept of a god who should be worshipped only
at one single sanctuary. But this is what YHWH had asked for, at least
according to the Torah, and was the attested practice from the time of
the Exodus at least until Solomon's day, although the location of the
central sanctuary varied from time to time.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/