[b-hebrew] Thera quote

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Sat Aug 28 06:49:46 EDT 2004

On 28/08/2004 00:26, MarianneLuban at aol.com wrote:

>In a message dated 8/27/2004 2:09:29 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
>kwrandolph at email.com writes:
>

>>What did Josephus know about the Hebrew calandar? We have indication that
>>it had ceased to be used 500 years before Josephus. Even in Tanakh, the
>>post-exilic writings named the months according to Aramaic names, indicating that
>>the Hebrew calandar was already then not being used, let alone centuries
>>later. That will also explain why for your claim that most historical mentions of
>>Hebrew religious feasts don’t coincide with the first and seventh months.
>>

>This is easily answered.  The Torah does not mention any months by
>names--only numbers, just as the ancient Egyptians did until quite late. ...

This is not true. See for example Exodus 13:4, 23:15, 34:18, verses
which I referred to before, which mention the month of Abib by name. I
suppose you might claim that this is not a name, but even though XODE$
HF)FBIYB probably means "the month of barley ears" (or even if it does
mean "the month of the spring solstice"), it is still a conventional
designation and so a name.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/