[b-hebrew] TSaRaR (Ex 23:22) 'enemy' and 'bind'

George F. Somsel gfsomsel at juno.com
Fri Aug 27 14:10:00 EDT 2004

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 19:12:51 +0200 "wattswestmaas"
<wattswestmaas at eircom.net> writes:
> In Exodus 23:22 the writer employs an interesting combination of
> words to
> convey the second half of his saying that God would be an enemy to
> their
> enemies by using the root word TSADI-RESH-RESH.  My question is
> this:  Is
> the first word, (namely TSARTI) a different root all together from
> the next
> word (namely TSoRaReCHa)?  Is the first word a double ayin verb
> (where the
> second resh has dropped)  OR is it from an aramaic word where the
> TSADI has
> replaced an original ayin or tet?
>
> Thankyou,  Chris

In the first case -- W:)fYaB:T.iY )eT_)oY:BeKf -- you have a case of a
verb followed by a noun of the same root.  In the second -- W:CaR:T.iY
)eT_CoR:ReKf -- you have a hollow verb CW.R which has as its object a qal
participle from CRR.  If the verb had been a geminate then one would
expect CR.oWT.iY, except for the fact that the RESH would reject a dagesh
so the reduplicated 2nd radical would have appeared (as in the participle
of CRR which is the object).  There is no instance of a qal perf 1 sg of
CRR in the OT though there are instances of CRR in the qal perf of other
persons.  While it is not quite the same root, it is definitely related.

george
gfsomsel