[b-hebrew] "Species" of the Genitive Waltke/O'Connor

Dave Washburn dwashbur at nyx.net
Fri Aug 27 10:13:44 EDT 2004

On Friday 27 August 2004 00:25, C. Stirling Bartholomew wrote:
> Waltke/O'Connor seem a little embarrassed about proceeding to level of
> semantic classification for the Genitive which they call "a traditional
> classification of species" (Waltke/O'Connor BH Syntax 9.4.b p141). But they
> go ahead and do it even though you get the feeling that they know better.
>
> The move from syntax categories like adnominal genitives to semantic
> categories like genitive of authorship (9.5.1.c) is precisely the kind of
> move that has in the last decade produced several Greek grammars of dubious
> merit.

Hi Clay,
The brand of transformational-generative grammar that I use has been calling
for a clear separation of syntax and semantics for decades...I quite agree
that the kind of move seen in W/O (and not just in this one category) tends
to muddy the waters and reduce the effectiveness of their grammar project.

Since I'm going to be team teaching a Greek class this Fall, which grammars do
you consider "of dubious merit" on this basis?  I'd like to avoid them...

--
Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur