[b-hebrew] Thera quote

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Fri Aug 27 06:26:51 EDT 2004

On 27/08/2004 10:09, MarianneLuban at aol.com wrote:

>...  Now
>Josephus wrote that the Exodus, which he believed had taken place in the time
>of Ahmose I, occurred during the month of Pharmouti which, in a Pefect Year,
>would have fallen in the Winter Season, being its last month.  However, during
>the time of Ahmose I, judging by the concordance given in Year 9 of his
>successor, Amenhotep I, Pharmouti would have fallen in April of the Julian
>calendar.  However, the pRhind, which relates the attack of Ahmose on the Hyksos
>strongholds and hints at some bad weather happening at the same time, says this
>occurred during the first month of Inundation--this being September by the Julian
>calendar at the time. ...

The primary document about the Exodus, the Book of Exodus itself (12:2,
13:4, 23:15, 34:18), gives a clear date in the 1st month Abib of the
Hebrew year, and the unbroken Pesach tradition places that in the spring
i.e. March-April, at the time when Pesach is still celebrated. The
calendar of 23:14-17 and its elaborations elsewhere in the Torah clearly
associate the Exodus with springtime.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/