Re: Re: [b-hebrew] An interesting translation of Psalms 143:2a

moon at mail.sogang.ac.kr moon at mail.sogang.ac.kr
Thu Aug 26 23:08:07 EDT 2004

Thanks, Peter. Please see my comments below.

Psalms 143:2a:

[Peter]
> My own interpretation would be along the lines of "don't go with your
> servant to (the place of) judgment", i.e. "don't take your servant to
> court". Compare Isaiah 3:14, Job 22:4, the same idiom except with `IM
> instead of 'ET, and Job 9:32. Compare also Jeremiah 1:16, 4:12, 12:1,
> 39:5 where MISHPATIM 'ET- implies litigation against.

[Moon] I would like to translate Isaiah 3:14 as follows:

Isaiah 3:14: ADONAI B:Mi$:P.f+  YfBoW  (iM-CiQ:N"Y (fM.oW

The Lord with judgement will come against the elders of his people.

Your second set of examples (Jer 1:16, 4:12, 12:1, 39:5)
have to do with "Lord will tell judgement against you"

In these verses, IM-X, ET_X can be taken to mean
"with respect to X" and in the context of the above verses, "against X".

To me, "Lord going with his servant to a court" is strange, because
Lord himself is the judge.

The reason why I quibble with the traditional translation "enter into judgement
with your servant" is that it treats "judgement with your servant" as
a single constituent in the sentence. In Psalms 143:2a, B:Mi$:P.f+ )eT_(aB:D.eKf
might be taken as a phrase, if we can combine the two words together as
 B:Mi$:P.f+--eT_(aB:D.eKf. Then B: can govern the whole phrase. But as it is,
I wonder if this kind of parsing is legitimate.

The word order of Isaiah 3:14 clearly shows that B:Mi$:P.f+ and (iM-CiQ:N"Y (fM.oW are two separate constituents. So, it is not legitimate to take the verse to
mean "God will come into judgement-with-his-elders". Rather,  YfBoW  (iM-CiQ:N"Y
is naturally translated as "come unto the elders", and together with
B:Mi$:P.f+, we have "Lord will come unto the elders with judgement" or
"Lord will come against the elders with judgement".

What do you think?

-----------------------------------
By the way, do you use a software to find parallels of a sentence or a phrase?

Because I am myself a computer scientist, I am very much interested in using
the best software for that purpose or making it sometime in the future.
My current tool, Bible Windows, is not as powerful as I want with respect to
intelligent search, and I think other softwares in the market are not so intelligent in search, either. I used to write a computer program parsing natural language based on
modern computational linguistics. I guess no bible software uses this advanced
theory and techniques of parsing. Oh well.

Moon Jung
Assoc. Prof.
Dept of Media Tech,
Sogang Univ, Seoul, Korea