[b-hebrew] Thera quote

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Thu Aug 26 15:09:44 EDT 2004

Dave:

Thanks for bringing this up. Before the recent discussion on this board, I had heard of the theory, but not thought about it. But the more it was discussed on this board, the more it raised questions.

First, we have no firm date for the Thera explosion. There was some great volcanic explosion about 1628 BC, but was it Thera? One of the links in a previous message questioned if it were an Alaskan volcano that blew at that time.

Secondly, how big was the Theran eruption? Ash falls of 100 feet indicate that it could have been huge, or was it a continuous, simmering eruption like the continuing one in Hawaii that laid the ash over many years, even decades? If the latter, it is possible that it left little to almost no record in tree ring or glacier stratigraphic records.

The prevailing wind argument against the Theran eruption being seen in Egypt is empty, as prevailing winds are merely that—prevailing—the eruption could have occured during one of the many times the wind was blowing the right direction.

Thirdly, some of the things mentioned in Exodus don’t fit the Theran eruption hypothesis, most notably the pillar of smoke by day and of fire by night. It is mentioned as being right on top of the )HL MW(D except when underway. This is not a volcanic pillar seen from hundreds of miles away. After all, if God created the space-time continuum in the first place, why is it out of the picture to suggest that he acted into it in a “supernatural” way?

Karl W. Randolph.