[b-hebrew] Primary and Secondary Old Testament Witnesses

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Thu Aug 26 14:39:59 EDT 2004

On 26/08/2004 19:20, C. Stirling Bartholomew wrote:

>On 8/26/04 11:07 AM, "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk at qaya.org> wrote:
>

>>The Latin Vulgate is also an important witness because it is known to
>>have been translated from the Hebrew long before the existing MT MSS.
>>

>Does not a fair amount of the Old Latin survive in the Vulgate? The Old
>Latin was based on the LXX . Calling the Vulgate a witness of the same sort
>as the LXX (Old Greek) needs to be qualified.
>

>greetings,
>Clay Bartholomew

Maybe. I guess the Vulgate should not be trusted as an independent
witness when it agrees with LXX or with surviving Old Latin, because
Jerome might have followed the interpretation he already knew. But when
it does not agree, it is probably a witness to Jerome's Hebrew text.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/