[b-hebrew] Ex Pu'ah

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Thu Aug 26 12:41:39 EDT 2004

On 24/08/2004 23:04, MarianneLuban at aol.com wrote:

>In a message dated 8/24/2004 2:41:51 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
>patrina at bestmail.us writes:
>

>>Marianne, I'd be interested to know - what is the Egyptian meaning of
>>Puah?
>>

>I can't provide the answer.  My Hertz Pentateuch says that the names "Shifra
>and Pu'ah" are probably Egyptian.  Others think they are Semitic.  Shifra, as
>I mentioned previously, is among the name of foreigners given on the Brooklyn
>papyrus.  So I don't doubt that one is Semitic.  "Swordsearcher" gives the
>name "Pu'ah" as meaning "splendid".   An old Bible dictionary I have here has
>Shifra as meaning "handsome" and Pu'ah as "mouth".  So there is not much
>consensus. ...

Marianne, the sources you quote and the way you use them show clearly
that you are treading outside your field of expertise here. While the
male name Pu'ah in Judges (with Alef) may possibly mean "mouth", the
female name Pu'ah in Exodus (with Ayin) certainly cannot mean this, and
doesn't derive from any well-known Hebrew root. Your insights on
Egyptian language are helpful here, but you don't seem to be in the best
position to contribute on Hebrew language. Thos who live in glasshouses
shouldn't throw stones.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/