[b-hebrew] Construct State

Maurice A. O'Sullivan mauros at iol.ie
Thu Aug 26 06:17:47 EDT 2004

At 06:51 26/08/2004, Kevin Riley wrote:

>The construct is usually referred to by that name, but I have seen it
>referred to as the 'genitive' in at least one old grammar,

A useful definition of the construct state can be found in:
Waltke, B. K., & O'Connor, M. P. (1990). An introduction to biblical Hebrew
syntax. Includes indexes. . Winona Lake, Ind.: Eisenbrauns.

 >>In the language antecedent to Biblical Hebrew, the genitive relation was
indicated by a final vowel marker, -i in the singular and [long i ] - in
the plural. After the loss of the case system (8.1), the noun in the
genitive was left unmarked. If a noun preceded a noun in the genitive,
however, that noun often came to be marked; such a "pregenitive" noun
stands in the construct state. Formation of the construct is a matter of
sound and rhythm: in order to bind the pregenitive to the genitive, the
pregenitive may be shortened.<<

mauros at iol.ie