[b-hebrew] Gen. 1.21, Winged Birds

Dan and/or Nancy Storm danstorm at comcast.net
Thu Aug 26 01:52:31 EDT 2004

I am somewhat of a beginning student of Hebrew, so I hope this question isn't too basic for this list. In Genesis 1:21 we read that God created "every winged bird according to its kind". What I'm interested in is two words: (OP KFNFP, "winged bird". (Please let me know if I have mistransliterated this.)

Koehler and Baumgartner list KFNFP as a substantive, meaning wing, but it seems to be used here adjectivally. From this I assume that substantives can be used as adjectives in Hebrew, like when we say in English sports car, fire truck, and so forth. I also wondered whether this might be an example of the construct state. However, with the construct state, the second noun takes the definite article. And even then we would have to translate the words something like "bird of a wing". Since the definite article is lacking here, I am assuming that we can safely rule out the construct state.

Please help me construe these words.

D. Anthony Storm
danstorm at comcast.net