[b-hebrew] The Exodus' mention in Egyptian Annals ?

RGmyrken at aol.com RGmyrken at aol.com
Wed Aug 25 19:22:20 EDT 2004

Dear Walter (and Marianne),

   It is important to note that Manetho does not describe any expulsion of
Hebrews, but rather an expulsion of Hyksos, and then an expulsion of Hyksos
together with polluted Egyptians.  It is only Josephus who equated these groups
with the Jews of the Exodus (although some Egyptians in Manetho's day equated
the figure Osarseph in the second story with Moses - but neither the Jews nor
Moses appear in the story itself).  Note that the Hyksos worshipped the god Seth
at Avaris, and Osarseph revived the cult of Seth ["Typhon"] at this same city
(which reflects the historical Ramesside revival of the cult of Seth).  In
Egyptian literature (and in Plutarch's Isis and Osiris) the followers of Seth
are repeatedly defeated, expelled from Egypt, yet regroup and return.  The two
expulsion of Sethians in Manetho reflect this stock Egyptian literary-religious
motif.  I wouldn't put much stock in Manetho's account as historical,
especially his second story (as there appears no historical evidence for a Ramesside
return of Hyksos to Avaris!).

Best regards,
Russell Gmirkin