[b-hebrew] Yom Kippur

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Mon Aug 23 11:10:48 EDT 2004

Dear Jonathan,

>  >From biblical through Second Temple through talmudic until modern times,
>both Jews and Christians have tended to ignore, or interpret according to
>their beliefs, the fact that both Amos (5:25) and Jeremiah (7:22-23)
>categorically reject sacrifice as a Canaanite influence and something not
>commanded by God. They both prefer observing his berit and observing the
>moral code.

HH: Do you really think that is what Amos and Jeremiah are doing. I
am flabbergasted. The law about sacrifices came from Sinai itself.
Your Tanakh turns into swiss cheese full of holes if you consider
sacrifice a foreign element that is false to true worship of Yahweh.

HH: I think Jer 7:22-23 speaks of what had priority. What did God
stress when He first brought the people out of Egypt? I don't think
Amos 5:25 is denying that they brought sacrifices, but saying that
while they may have done that, they also carried their idols along
with them.

				Yours,
				Harold Holmyard