[b-hebrew] Yom Kippur

Shoshanna Walker rosewalk at concentric.net
Sun Aug 22 20:14:49 EDT 2004

HH: Christianity does see Christ's death as supplanting the
sacrificial system, but in the sense that Christ is the reality of
which the sacrificial system was the type. He inaugurated the new
covenant that Jeremiah promised:

Jeremiah was talking about life after Mashiach, not Christ.  When all
people will know who G-d is......

Jer. 31:31  "The time is coming," declares the LORD,  "when I will
make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of
Judah.
Jer. 31:32 It will not be like the covenant I made with their
forefathers when I took them by the hand to lead them out of Egypt,
because they broke my covenant, though I was a husband to them,"
declares the LORD.
Jer. 31:33  "This is the covenant I will make with the house of
Israel after that time," declares the LORD.  "I will put my law in
their minds and write it on their hearts. I will be their God, and
they will be my people.
Jer. 31:34 No longer will a man teach his neighbor, or a man his
brother, saying,  'Know the LORD,' because they will all know me,
from the least of them to the greatest," declares the LORD.  "For I
will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more."

Christianity teaches that the blood of goats and bulls could never
take away sin:

Then Christianity contradicts G-d

Heb. 10:1 ¶ The law is only a shadow of the good things that are
coming - not the realities themselves. For this reason it can never,
by the same sacrifices repeated endlessly year after year, make
perfect those who draw near to worship.
Heb. 10:2 If it could, would they not have stopped being offered? For
the worshipers would have been cleansed once for all, and would no
longer have felt guilty for their sins.
Heb. 10:3 But those sacrifices are an annual reminder of sins,
Heb. 10:4 because it is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats
to take away sins.

HH: But when Christ came, he offered the sacrifice towards which the
animal sacrifices could only point. As for the sins forgiven in the
OT through the sacrificial system, Paul said:

Rom. 3:25 God presented him as a sacrifice of atonement, through
faith in his blood. He did this to demonstrate his justice, because
in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand
unpunished -

HH: One problem that arises with prayer and repentance replacing the
sacrifices is that prayer and repentance already existed when there
were sacrifices, and God still considered the sacrifices necessary.

				Yours,
				Harold Holmyard