[b-hebrew] Yom Kippur

Patrina patrina at bestmail.us
Sun Aug 22 19:03:45 EDT 2004

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 14:43:40 -0500, "Harold R. Holmyard III"
<hholmyard at ont.com> said:
> HH: But when Christ came, he offered the
> sacrifice towards which the animal sacrifices
> could only point. As for the sins forgiven in the
> OT through the sacrificial system, Paul said:
>
> Rom. 3:25 God presented him as a sacrifice of
> atonement, through faith in his blood. He did
> this to demonstrate his justice, because in his
> forbearance he had left the sins committed
> beforehand unpunished -
>
> HH: One problem that arises with prayer and
> repentance replacing the sacrifices is that
> prayer and repentance already existed when there
> were sacrifices, and God still considered the
> sacrifices necessary.
>
> 				Yours,
> 				Harold Holmyard

Someone please tell me how this would "demonstrate his justice" (Rom
3:25b)?  The issue is that any system of "justice" basing its premise on
"sacrifice" of the innocent on behalf of the guilty is absurd.  If this
is a "holy" practice, then why can't we use these same premises in our
own systems of justice?  Our consciences wouldn't permit it, so why
would a god?  At least Judaism has moved forward from its ANE roots in
this regard since they no longer slaughter innocent animals to atone for
their sins, although some fundamentalists still want to bring back the
sacrificial system in a third temple scenario.

Harold, I don't want to offend anyone, but I feel that real "justice" is
an important issue that shouldn't be side-stepped  by spiritual
truth-seekers (I do note that what you write is perfectly sound exegesis
of NT texts.). I don't see how anyone can accept such behaviour from any
so-called "god" as 'true justice'.  Even Abraham understood that a
righteous god wouldn't destroy innocent people when he said in Genesis
18:25 "Far be it from you to act in this way, to slay the righteous with
the wicked so that the righteous should be as the wicked.  Far be it
from you!  Does the Judge of all the earth not do justice?"

Patrina Nuske Small
Adelaide, South Australia
--
  Patrina