[b-hebrew] Shishak

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Sun Aug 22 16:28:38 EDT 2004

On 22/08/2004 12:32, Yigal Levin wrote:

>3. Is there any independent evidence for the date of his campaign to Israel,
>that is NOT based on the biblical description?

To return to this question, David Rohl lists Sheshonk I as a
contemporary of Abibaal of Byblos, on the basis of a throne base found
at Byblos with Shoshenq's cartouches surrounded by the following
Phoenician text (transliterated as if it were unpointed Hebrew, # = shin):

M# ZN#) )BB(L MLK GBL
SK?GBL BMCRM LB(LTGBL T)RK YM )BB(L W#NTW (LGBL

? which Abibaal king of Byblos set up
(Protection? of Byblos?) in Egypt to Baalat-Gebal
May she prolong the days of Abibaal and his years over Byblos

Rohl suggests that this Abibaal's great-grandson was Shipitbaal, a
contemporary of Tiglath-Pileser III of Assyria dated to 738 BCE. Partly
on this basis he dates Sheshonk I to around 800 BCE, and identifies him,
campaigning in Israel, with the saviour of Israel in 2 Kings 13:5 who is
also dated to around 800 BCE.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/