[b-hebrew] Yom Kippur

Walter R. Mattfeld mattfeld12 at charter.net
Sat Aug 21 19:51:19 EDT 2004

I recently came across some info on Yom Kippur and not being Jewish, but
formerly  a Fundamentalist Protestant Christian, would like to know if the
below information is correct :

"Yom Kippur, the Day of Atonement, the tenth day of the month of Tishri
according to the Jewish claendar, is unique in its holiness ("the Sabbath of
Sabbaths" - a day of solemn rest" as it is called in Leviticus 23:32). The
Jews were granted this holiest of days at Mount Sinai while receiving the
Torah. It was then that they became a people. The significance of Yom
Kippur, as it appears on the medal, is to serve as a vehicle for the group
forgiveness of a holy nation (the Jewish people) on a holy day (the Day of
Atonement). And in fact, to forgive each individual for his sins. This day
is the climax of the ten days of repentance which begins with the Rosh
Hashana holiday (the New Year) and culminates with the Day of Atonement.

The Torah declares that on Yom Kippur all sins will be forgiven: "for on
this day shall atonement be made for you, to cleanse you; from all your sins
shall ye be clean before the Lord" (Leviticus 16:30). But our sages have
interpreted that those sins made by man against the Lord will be pardoned,
while those mades against a fellow man will be forgiven only upon direct
reconcilitaion between man and his fellow man."

The above is quoted from a brochure accompanying a medal issued by the
Israel Government Coins and Medals Corporation of Jerusalem for a medal
commemorating Yom Kippur.

If the above information is correct- then I have another question of
Christian scholars on this list. If Christ as "the Logos" is presenting all
this to Moses at Mount Sinai, telling Israel that on Yom Kippur the people's
sins are forgiven, whence the later Christian understanding that forgiveness
of sin occurs only when one becomes a Christian and is baptised into
Christ's death ?

Regards, Walter

Walter Reinhold Warttig Mattfeld y de la Torre, M.A. Ed.

www.bibleorigins.net

mattfeld12 at charter.net