[b-hebrew] Ark of the covenant

MarianneLuban at aol.com MarianneLuban at aol.com
Sat Aug 21 15:09:44 EDT 2004

In a message dated 8/21/2004 10:02:57 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
Banyai at t-online.de writes:

> I suppose you miss the point Marianne. You use the stratum where the Theran
> pumice was found as a marker for the date as the eruption took place

No.  I am no vulcanologist.  I do not place the eruption of Thera at all.
Don't confuse me with Manfred Bietak.  I have used the eruption as a "marker"
for nothing.  The only thing I did in my book was discuss the theories of others
as to whether this "tempest" described at Karnak by Ahmose (and also hinted
at by the pRhind when the onslaught of the Hyksos strongholds took place) can
have had anything to do with the final eruption of Thera in antiquity--and the
phenomena described in the BOE.  Some say "yes"--others "no".  It has become
an ongoing debate in the journals.  I tend to side with the "yes"
contingent--because I have faith that the Torah would not describe things that seem so
connected with a natural disaster for no reason at all.  Hail, raining soot and
darkness for three days don't happen every day in Egypt.