[b-hebrew] Ark of the covenant

MarianneLuban at aol.com MarianneLuban at aol.com
Sat Aug 21 11:49:34 EDT 2004

In a message dated 8/21/2004 12:43:50 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
Banyai at t-online.de writes:

> I suppose you will take account by the point made by Sturt Manning
> concerning the chemical composition of the Tel ed Dab´a pumice. It comes not only
> from Thera but from several other sources, so it is obviously brought to Egypt
> by trade and not the result of a contemporary eruption. Cris Bennett has
> formulated Mannings conclusions in short (I quote to your benefit):
>
> > The most direct connection alleged between the Thera eruption and Egypt is
> > the pumice found at Tell el-Daba. I was interested to see on Manning's >
> website (http://www.rdg.ac.uk/~lasmanng/testoftime.html) that analysis of >
> this pumice indicates that in fact it comes from several different sources, >
> including Thera, indicating that it most likely came to Tell el-Daba in
> trade... (concerning the supposed chronological conection between Thera and 18-th
> dynasty) Manning's position is that (I quote from the website) "the key Late
> Minoan IA period was not ..... contemporary (even in part) with the New
> Kingdom (18th Dynasty) of Egypt."

Well, Manning has a right to his chronological conclusions--but how any
pumice from Thera came to Tel el-Daba can only be conjecture on his part.
Following the final cataclysmic explosion on Thera, the island was uninhabited for the
next 200 years.  See Marinatos and Doumas, the two main excavators at
Santorini (Thera).  Plus, nearby islands also suffered considerably from the effects
of the blast--so who do you suppose would be the people doing all the trading
in pumice with the Egyptians?  Pumice from Thera has been found all the way to
the Black Sea--so that some can have been washed up in Egypt is hardly a
far-fetched notion.