[b-hebrew] Ark of the covenant

Michael Banyai Banyai at t-online.de
Sat Aug 21 03:42:00 EDT 2004

Dear Marianne Lubab,

I suppose you will take account by the point made by Sturt Manning concerning the chemical composition of the Tel ed Dab´a pumice. It comes not only from Thera but from several other sources, so it is obviously brought to Egypt by trade and not the result of a contemporary eruption. Cris Bennett has formulated Mannings conclusions in short (I quote to your benefit):

> The most direct connection alleged between the Thera eruption and Egypt is > the pumice found at Tell el-Daba. I was interested to see on Manning's > website (http://www.rdg.ac.uk/~lasmanng/testoftime.html) that analysis of > this pumice indicates that in fact it comes from several different sources, > including Thera, indicating that it most likely came to Tell el-Daba in trade... (concerning the supposed chronological conection between Thera and 18-th dynasty) Manning's position is that (I quote from the website) "the key Late Minoan IA period was not ..... contemporary (even in part) with the New Kingdom (18th Dynasty) of Egypt."

Concerning the names of the Hyksos, they are all semitic, except the case they are Egyptian. Chajan finding an echo in biblical Chain, Kirta ugaritic Keret, etc. I don´t know what your problems are therewith, but the hurrite theory has long since been dropped.

Best regards,

Bányai Michael
Stuttgart