[b-hebrew] Ark of the Covenant

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Fri Aug 20 23:46:56 EDT 2004

Dear Marianne,

>  > Ancient Jewish and Christian writers, such as Ecclesiasticus,
>>  Josephus, Philo, and Origen were essentially in full agreement that
>>  the Pentateuch was written solely by Moses. The Mishnah and the
>>  Talmud also confirm this. Tradition during the first millennium of
>  > Christian history agrees with this belief.
>
>Okay--but all these people lived--and the NT was written after CE.  What
>means did they have of knowing if Moses wrote
>the Torah?  Did they even have a way
>of detecting the anachronisms in it?  There was no Egyptology or Biblical
>archaeology then.  They had a tradition--but sometimes tradition can be wrong.

HH: Well, Jesus was a prophet in his claims, at
the least. And Ecclesiasticus was before CE. But
I believe they held that view because it has been
faithfully passed down through the centuries. The
Pentateuch itself is clear that Moses is writing
down large portions of the Law. The Book of
Joshua confirms it:

Josh. 8:31 as Moses the servant of the LORD had
commanded the Israelites. He built it according
to what is written in the Book of the Law of
Moses - an altar of uncut stones, on which no
iron tool had been used. On it they offered to
the LORD burnt offerings and sacrificed
fellowship offerings.

As does Judges:

Judg. 3:4 They were left to test the Israelites
to see whether they would obey the LORD's
commands, which he had given their forefathers
through Moses.

HH: And it continues:

1Kings 2:3 and observe what the LORD your God
requires: Walk in his ways, and keep his decrees
and commands, his laws and requirements, as
written in the Law of Moses, so that you may
prosper in all you do and wherever you go,

2Kings 23:25 Neither before nor after Josiah was
there a king like him who turned to the LORD as
he did - with all his heart and with all his soul
and with all his strength, in accordance with all
the Law of Moses.

1Chr. 22:13 Then you will have success if you are
careful to observe the decrees and laws that the
LORD gave Moses for Israel. Be strong and
courageous. Do not be afraid or discouraged.

2Chr. 23:18 ¶ Then Jehoiada placed the oversight
of the temple of the LORD in the hands of the
priests, who were Levites, to whom David had made
assignments in the temple, to present the burnt
offerings of the LORD as written in the Law of
Moses, with rejoicing and singing, as David had
ordered.

Ezra 6:18 And they installed the priests in their
divisions and the Levites in their groups for the
service of God at Jerusalem, according to what is
written in the Book of Moses.

Neh. 8:1 all the people assembled as one man in
the square before the Water Gate. They told Ezra
the scribe to bring out the Book of the Law of
Moses, which the LORD had commanded for Israel.

Psa. 90:0 ¶ A prayer of Moses the man of God.

Dan. 9:11 All Israel has transgressed your law
and turned away, refusing to obey you. ¶
"Therefore the curses and sworn judgments written
in the Law of Moses, the servant of God, have
been poured out on us, because we have sinned
against you.

Mal. 4:4 ¶  "Remember the law of my servant
Moses, the decrees and laws I gave him at Horeb
for all Israel.

HH: It would be nice to see a quote from Genesis
attributed to Moses, but I can't remember seeing
that in the Tanakh. The stress is on the need for
the people to obey, and there does not seem to be
such an historical quote.

>  > HH: It is important in showing the character of Joseph. I appreciated
>>  the rest that you wrote but cannot respond to it. R. K. Harrison
>>  found no other real parallels between the "Tale of Two Brothers" and
>>  the Joseph story apart from this one incident of the attempted
>>  seduction. By the dating of Eugene H. Merrill in his book Kingdom of
>>  Priests (Baker, 1987, p. 31), the birthdate of Joseph was 1916 B.C.
>>  By that dating he would have been contemporaneous with Sinuhe, if the
>>  latter existed. Harrison says that Sinuhe supposedly comes from the
>>  time of c. 1900 B.C.
>
>I don't know how anybody pinpoints the birthdate of Joseph as 1916.  I would
>certainly like to see the rationale.  The dating of Sinuhe is correct.

HH: He uses the work of people like Edmund Thiele
to get a definite date for 1 Kings 6:1, goes back
to the Exodus date from that, counts the number
of years in Egypt given in Exod 12:40 and the age
of Joseph when he went there, so it is easy. But,
of course, such constructions are only as
accurate as Thiele's work on the chronology of
the kings, and Merrill would openly admit that.
The date is an approximation based on the best
available data.

					Yours,
					Harold Holmyard