[b-hebrew] Hatshepsut and Avaris (later called Rameses)

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Fri Aug 20 18:37:11 EDT 2004

On 20/08/2004 23:13, Walter R. Mattfeld wrote:

>I have been following the exchanges between Marianne Luban and Peter Kirk
>about whether or not Hatshepsut did any restoration work at Avaris after the
>Hyksos expulsion. Perhaps archaeology can cast some light upon the matter ?
>
>According to Manfred Bietak who is charge of the excavations at Tell
>ed-Dab'a (identified as being Avaris), after the expulsion of the Hyksos by
>Ahmose I the site was abandoned. But, he did note that at nearby Ezbet
>Rushdi, ...

Ezbet Rushdi is in fact less than 1 km from the site of the Hyksos
fortress, and the site also of some 12th dynasty temples which are
presumably the ones which Hatshepsut claimed to restore.

>... an Egyptian fortress was erected in "early 18th dynasty" times. Near
>this fortress he found houses which he called "Middle Class Settlement."
>Excavations in and about the fortress and the houses uncovered several
>occupational strata. Some of the items recovered were scarabs which could be
>dated. He stated that the LATEST occupational date he could establish for
>Ezbet Rushdie was the reign of Pharaoh Amenhotep II whodated by Clayton as
>reigning ca. 1453-1419 BCE. (cf. p. 112. Peter A. Clayton. Chronicles of the
>Pharaohs. London. Thames & Hudson. 1994).
>
>Clayton dated Hatshepsut as circa 1498-1483 BCE (p. 104. Clayton). So, it is
>"possible" that Hatshepsut could have been responsible, in part, for some
>kind of restoration work in the vicinity of Tell ed-Dab'a at Ezbet Rushdie.
>For all the details cf. pp. 68-73. Manfred Bietak. _Avaris, the Capital of
>the Hyksos, Recent Excavations at Tell el-Dab'a_. London. British Museum
>Press. 1996.
>
>None of this "proves" that the Hyksos were still at Avaris and vicinity,
>only that an Egyptian settlement existed in the area in Hatshepsut and
>Amenhotep II's days. Bietak understood Ahmose I was responsible for the
>initial settlement and fortress.

All seems very consistent with the view that Hatshepsut started to
restore the great city which had been abandoned since the time of Ahmose.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/