[b-hebrew] Re: [-] Hyksos Manetho et al - was Ark of the covenant

MarianneLuban at aol.com MarianneLuban at aol.com
Fri Aug 20 13:06:50 EDT 2004

In a message dated 8/20/2004 5:06:51 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
peterkirk at qaya.org writes:

> >"..> Hear ye, all people and folk as many as they may be, I have done
> these
> >

> >>things through the counsel of my heart. I have not slept forgetfully,
> (but) I
> >>have restored that which had been ruined. I have raised up that which had
> >>gone to pieces formerly, since the Asiatics were in the midst of Avaris of
> the
> >>Northland, and vagabonds were in the midst of them, overthrowing that
> which
> >>had been made. They ruled with Re, and he acted not with divine command
> down to
> >>the time of My Majesty.
> >>From the Speos Artemidos Inscription
> >>Pritchard, James B. ed. Ancient Near Eastern Texts, Princeton, 1969, p.
> 231.
> >>

> Marianne, if I have followed this correctly you are trying to argue that
> this text implies that Hatshepsut expelled Asiatics from Avaris. Well,
> you can read the original Egyptian which may say this. But as I
> understand this English translation, she is referring to a former time
> when the Asiatics lived there and ruined the temples, not suggesting
> that they live there in her own time. She has restored the temples which
> the Asiatics ruined long before.

It is a typo--which should say "ruled without Re".  The implication is that
the foreigners, who did not acknowledge Re, were still in Avaris during
Hatshepsut's time
(that time when she was the consort and co-regent of her own brother,
Thutmose II) and that it was she who had been able to restore the holy places in the
Delta by the grace of Re--because now they were gone.  A lot of time had gone
by since Ahmose.
If the Hyksos had not returned--why didn't somebody else restore those
places?  I don't understand why it is so impossible for anybody to believe that this
happened.  We have the testimony of Manetho--and also the school of thought
represented by Artapanus et all that an exodus took place 490 years after
Abraham.  If you take the covenient datum of 2000 BCE for Abraham, you get 1510
BCE--right in the reign of Thutmose II.