[b-hebrew] Relevance Theory & Hebrew Semantics

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Fri Aug 20 08:33:05 EDT 2004

On 20/08/2004 03:14, Eduard C Hanganu wrote:

> Dear Peter:
>
> Of course, "mimicry of Isaiah's words, perh. senseless." We use such
> expressions in common English too ("blah, blah, blah"), when we want
> to be ironic with someone or dismiss him. But how is this evidence
> supporting the idea that the discourse fragment lacks cohesion,
> coherence and logicality? ...

I mentioned this simply because I needed to qualify my absolute
statement that there was no nonsense language in the Bible. Of course
this fragment of nonsense is meaningful within its discourse context,
but the actual quoted words are (on my interpretation) nonsense, and so
no specific meaning should be forced upon them.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/