[b-hebrew] Re: [-] Hyksos Manetho et al - was Ark of the covenant

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Fri Aug 20 08:06:21 EDT 2004

On 20/08/2004 01:07, MarianneLuban at aol.com wrote:

>Banyai--this is not right.  You must give the entire pertinent part--not just
>the part that suits your own arguments. It goes like this:
>
>"..> Hear ye, all people and folk as many as they may be, I have done these
>

>>things through the counsel of my heart. I have not slept forgetfully, (but) I
>>have restored that which had been ruined. I have raised up that which had
>>gone to pieces formerly, since the Asiatics were in the midst of Avaris of the
>>Northland, and vagabonds were in the midst of them, overthrowing that which
>>had been made. They ruled with Re, and he acted not with divine command down to
>>the time of My Majesty.
>>From the Speos Artemidos Inscription
>>Pritchard, James B. ed. Ancient Near Eastern Texts, Princeton, 1969, p. 231.

Marianne, if I have followed this correctly you are trying to argue that
this text implies that Hatshepsut expelled Asiatics from Avaris. Well,
you can read the original Egyptian which may say this. But as I
understand this English translation, she is referring to a former time
when the Asiatics lived there and ruined the temples, not suggesting
that they live there in her own time. She has restored the temples which
the Asiatics ruined long before.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/