Ships or Chips? was Re: [b-hebrew] Mishna on veil

Maurice A. O'Sullivan mauros at iol.ie
Fri Aug 20 07:56:53 EDT 2004

At 08:50 20/08/2004, George F. Somsel wrote:

>6:6 A. She goes out with a sela coin on a bunion
>B. Little girls go out with threads and ships in their ears.
>C. Arabian women go out veiled.
>
>Neusner, J. _The Mishnah:  A new translation_

George:
I take it that your source for this was the Logos version of Neusner's
volume, because my own Libronix program shows the same amusing literal. If
anyone has the hardcopy of this book, could they check, please, to see if
this was an original error, or a transcribing one?.

Here is the quotation from the Judaic Classics version of the Soncino
Talmud [ Seder Mo'ed / Mas. Shabbath 65A ]

 >> Mishnah. She may go forth with the sela' (17) on a zinith [callus].
Young girls (18) may go out with threads, and even with chips in their
ears.(19 )Arabian women may go forth veiled, and median women may go forth
with their cloaks thrown over their shoulders.

(17) A coin.
(18) Lit., 'daughters'.
(19) To prevent the hole pierced for ear-rings from closing up.

Regards,

Maurice

mauros at iol.ie