[b-hebrew] Ark of the Covenant

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Fri Aug 20 07:57:45 EDT 2004

On 20/08/2004 00:48, MarianneLuban at aol.com wrote:

> Why would any copiers throw in so many anachronisms into a text they
> considered "holy"? ...

Perhaps they didn't consider it quite so holy, in earlier times. You are
the one throwing in an anachronism here.

> ...  And why is it necessary for Moses to have written "any" of the Torah?

I didn't say it was necessary, only that your arguments that it is
impossible are not secure.

>> By the way, how do we know that Manetho was not taken in by the kinds of
>> forged stelae which you mentioned?
>

> They are rarities.  I know of only the two I mentioned.  While these
> texts are pseudographic, there is really nothing in them to be "taken
> in" by.  The Famine Stela mention "seven lean years" in Egypt during
> the time of Djoser.  Manetho never mentioned them--but maybe the Bible
> does. ...

Well, maybe. But don't go down the route of saying that Genesis is
copied from the forgery. It could be the other way round, or there could
just have been a general tradition of a seven year famine which found
its way into both; or the resemblance may be accidental. It would anyway
stretch every chronology to put Joseph in the time of Djoser, which
would put Abraham back in the 1st dynasty.

> ... Seven low Niles in a row would have been a rare happening in
> Egypt.  The Bekhten Stela (also called the Bentresh Stela) refers to a
> marriage between Ramesses II and a daughter of a king of a place
> called "Bekhten", which some feel is Afghanistan.  It records that
> another daughter of this same foreign king was possessed by a demon
> and required an Egyptian physician to either heal her or act as an
> exorcist.  Manetho doesn't mention this, either.  Yet Hecataeus of
> Abdera was told by priests of the Ramesseum (the mortuary temple of
> Ram. II) that the pharaoh had fought in far-flung locations, so there
> was a legend there that had persisted.

He is known to have fought at Kadesh on the Orontes, which is a long way
from Luxor.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/