[b-hebrew] Mishna on veil

Maurice A. O'Sullivan mauros at iol.ie
Fri Aug 20 05:52:12 EDT 2004

At 16:19 16/08/2004, Kimmo Huovila wrote:

>I am sorry for an off-topic question, butI have a vague memory that the
>Mishna
>refers to veils as a piece of clothing, but I cannot find the references.

As a _piece of clothing_, this quotation from Sefer Ha-Aggadah ( Book of
Legends ) may be what you are looking for:

 >>Sefer Ha-Aggadah

"Crown of Priesthood "Section 14
In the Chamber of Hewn Stone, the Great Sanhedrin of Israel used to sit and
[among other matters] investigate the [lineage of] priests. A priest in
whom a disqualification [in lineage]1483 was found would put on black
garments, veil himself in black, and go away. He in whom no such
disqualification was found would put on white garments, veil himself in
white, go into the Temple area, and minister alongside his brother priests.
They used to declare a day on which no disqualification was found in [the
lineage of] any of the seed of Aaron the high priest a festal day and say:
Blessed be He who is everywhere, blessed be He, that no disqualification
has been found in the seed of Aaron. Blessed be He who has chosen Aaron and
his sons to stand and serve before the Lord in the house most holy.

[ 1483 E.g., that his mother was a divorced woman ] <<

mauros at iol.ie