[b-hebrew] Relevance Theory & Hebrew Semantics

Eduard C Hanganu eddhanganu at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 19 22:14:06 EDT 2004

Dear Peter:

Of course, "mimicry of Isaiah's words, perh. senseless." We use such
expressions in common English too ("blah, blah, blah"), when we want to be
ironic with someone or dismiss him. But how is this evidence supporting the
idea that the discourse fragment lacks cohesion, coherence and logicality?
I believe this blabbering clearly refers back to the beginning of the
chapter:

KJV Isaiah 28:1 Woe to the crown of pride, to the drunkards of Ephraim,
whose glorious beauty is a fading flower, which are on the head of the fat
valleys of them that are overcome with wine! {overcome: Heb. broken}

and

3 The crown of pride, the drunkards of Ephraim, shall be trodden under feet:
{under...: Heb. with feet}

The whole chapter 28 in Isaiah is an ironic discourse on the "drunkards of
Ephraim" who have lost their reason and sense and right and wrong through
drunkenness and cannot be taught the ways of the Lord anymore because of
their condition, together with the priest and prophet of verse 7 who "are
out of the way through strong drink; they err in vision, they stumble in
judgment."

I see the whole chapter as a very cohesive and coherent message of rebuke
from the Lord to those who have disregarded the Divine counsel and have
fallen pray to the intoxicating influence of alcohol and therefore cannot be
instructed anymore in the ways of the Lord if they remain in their state.

Eduard