[b-hebrew] Ark of the Covenant

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Thu Aug 19 18:08:24 EDT 2004

Dear Marianne,

>Because that description fits me, I am unable to
>believe that Moses wrote the Torah.
>In Genesis, in the story of Joseph, two men are named "Potiphar"
>(called Petepres in the Septuagint).

HH: I see only one man named Potiphar. The references I have are the following:

Gen. 37:36 ¶ Meanwhile, the Midianites sold
Joseph in Egypt to Potiphar, one of Pharaoh's
officials, the captain of the guard.
Gen. 39:1 ¶ Now Joseph had been taken down to
Egypt. Potiphar, an Egyptian who was one of
Pharaoh's officials, the captain of the guard,
bought him from the Ishmaelites who had taken him
there.
Gen. 39:4 Joseph found favor in his eyes and
became his attendant. Potiphar put him in charge
of his household, and he entrusted to his care
everything he owned.
Gen. 39:5 From the time he put him in charge of
his household and of all that he owned, the LORD
blessed the household of the Egyptian because of
Joseph. The blessing of the LORD was on
everything Potiphar had, both in the house and in
the field.

>   As it happens, such a name was not used in Egypt until the latter
>part of the Late Period of Egyptian history (1070-378 BCE).

HH: First, you are forming the name in Egyptian
on the basis of the Hebrew. So there is some room
for error there, isn't there? Second, it would be
hard for me to say that a name had not been used
in the United States for a two hundred year
period. So to say that a name that appeared in
Egypt at a late date could not have been used at
any time prior to that, a period of thousands of
years, seems a stretch.

HH: Perhaps you had in mind the priest Potiphera:

Gen. 41:45 Pharaoh gave Joseph the name
Zaphenath-Paneah and gave him Asenath daughter of
Potiphera, priest of On, to be his wife. And
Joseph went throughout the land of Egypt.
Gen. 41:50 ¶ Before the years of famine came, two
sons were born to Joseph by Asenath daughter of
Potiphera, priest of On.
Gen. 46:20 In Egypt, Manasseh and Ephraim were
born to Joseph by Asenath daughter of Potiphera,
priest of On.

HH: The Hebrew saw a difference between the two
names, so we have to assume that Potipher and
Potiphera were two different names in Egypt,
don't we? Perhaps you're saying that this sort of
name does not appear, but that sounds sort of
impossibly omniscient to me.

					Yours,
					Harold Holmyard