[b-hebrew] Ark of the Covenant

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Thu Aug 19 15:23:51 EDT 2004

On 19/08/2004 19:34, MarianneLuban at aol.com wrote:

>... By the same token, the Torah
>demonstrates its late composition by its anachronisms.  That is the truth.
>Unless you believe that Moses existed no earlier than around 500 BCE he cannot
>have written the Torah--no more than can any other man who writes of his own
>death and even remarks that no one can recall where he is buried. ...

Marianne, you weaken your argument by trying to disprove a straw man.
For many centuries even highly conservative scholars have accepted that
there are parts of the Torah which Moses did not write himself, such as
the account of his death and some obvious anachronisms like a reference
to the city of Dan. While different people may vary on what they accept,
and I can't speak for Karl, this implies a general acceptance that there
has been some kind of later redaction of the Torah. That further means
that occasional anachronisms do not imply that the main part of the text
was not written by Moses sometime in the second millennium. After all,
we are talking about a text which is known to have been copied many
times, not a stela which claims to be an original text from an earlier
time than it actually is.

By the way, how do we know that Manetho was not taken in by the kinds of
forged stelae which you mentioned?

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/