[b-hebrew] Relevance Theory & Hebrew Semantics

C. Stirling Bartholomew jacksonpollock at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 17 22:20:18 EDT 2004

On 8/17/04 6:51 PM, "C. Stirling Bartholomew" <jacksonpollock at earthlink.net>
wrote:

> Discourse cohesion is something that can be attained somewhat independent of
> semantic content. You can have a cohesive discourse segment **as defined by
> Halliday and Hasan** which has no coherent meaning. So you are correct, I am
> limiting the scope of my discussion to semantic cohesion.

Delete the statement ** ... ** which is misleading.

This might look to some like a contradiction to my comment about agreeing
with everything in the Halliday and Hasan paragraph. My reading on discourse
cohesion was extensive and perhaps I don't recall exactly who said what
where.

The mechanisms used to establish cohesive ties within a discourse are not an
identical set with those which make the discourse hang together
semantically. I remember seeing illustrations of this point in the
literature. Highly cohesive discourse segments which didn't make any sense
at all.

I think it is time go away and  do some more reading. I have sever works
here on RT by D.Blackmore, B.Carston, G.Brown, ... need to do some more
reading.

Thanks for all the discussion.

greetings,
Clay Bartholomew