[b-hebrew] Relevance Theory & Hebrew Semantics

Eduard C Hanganu eddhanganu at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 17 20:02:48 EDT 2004

Dear Clay:

I don't know what is your working definition of "cohesion, " but I suspect
that it is rather limited. You have to remember that without text cohesion
there is no coherence, logicality and relevance in the text, that actually
without cohesion there is no text (see Odlin, 2000 in "Language Transfer.")
Take a look at Halliday and Hasan's (1976) lenghty discussion on "Cohesion
in English." On page 10, when they discuss 'cohesion and discourse
structure,' they state:

"Cohesion refers to the range of possibilities that exist for linking
something with what has gone before. Since this linking is achieved through
relations in MEANING (we are excluding from consideration the effects of
formal devices such as syntactic parallelism, metre and rhyme), what is in
question is the set of meaning relations which function in this way: the
semantic resources which are drawn on for the purpose of creating text. And
since, as we have stresssed, it is the sentence that is the pivotal entry
here - whatever is put together within one sentence is ipso facto part of a
text - we can interpret cohesion in practice, as the set of semantic
resources for linking a SENTENCE with what has gone before."

If I understand the paragraph correctly, it is not the mechanical
(morphological and syntactic) devices that create cohesion in a text, but
the semantic resources that 'glue' phrases and sentences together and
produce meaning. These ' semantic resources' are essential because without
meaning there is no text, no communication, no message.

Eduard