[b-hebrew] Relevance Theory & Hebrew Semantics

kwrandolph at email.com kwrandolph at email.com
Tue Aug 17 18:08:39 EDT 2004

Peter:

This “intended to make sense” is exactly the reason I question the Masoritic points at times. While most sentences in Tanakh are simple and make sense, the difficult ones often become simple when one removes the points, then look for the possibilities. Often the verses preceding and following indicate which of the possibilities to choose based on continuation of an idea. Often I find that one possibility gives a simple reading and any other possibility leaves us with mental gymnastics to try to make every word fit.

I don’t know exactly how this relates to Relevance Theory, other than making the text make sense may affect the relevance of individual verses.

Karl W. Randolph.