[b-hebrew] Relevance Theory & Hebrew Semantics

C. Stirling Bartholomew jacksonpollock at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 17 16:13:57 EDT 2004

On 8/17/04 12:09 PM, "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk at qaya.org> wrote:

> Some texts like Ecclesiastes, and parts of Proverbs, may be made up of a
> separate short discourses thrown together with no real cohesion. But at
> least we can assume that each such discourse is intended to make sense.

Peter,

Discourse segments at every level can have general cohesion but lack
cohesion in some details. I was recently working on a crux in Luke 4:22
(off-topic) where cohesion breaks down in the last clause of the verse.
Trying to force cohesion onto this last clause causes more problems than it
solves. I can't grab an OT example from memory.

I am not talking about random collections of words.

greetings,
Clay Bartholomew