[b-hebrew] Relevance Theory & Hebrew Semantics

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Tue Aug 17 13:49:09 EDT 2004

On 17/08/2004 17:18, C. Stirling Bartholomew wrote:

>Peter Kirk wrote:
>

>>The rather similarproject on which I have been working (see
>>http://www.ktbh-team.org/) has had a lot of input from cognitive linguists
>>who are also experts on RT. From my own perspective, this input has been
>>hard to assimilate; in principle it should make for a very good product but
>>in practice the effort required to get there looks unrealistic.
>>

>Peter,
>
>I read the relevant portions of your paper "Holy Communicative" and it
>sounds like Ernst-August Gutt has raised some very good questions about DE
>translation methodology. While I applaud his efforts, that issue is somewhat
>outside of my current focus which is semantics defined in a broad sense
>(spilling into pragmatics somewhat).
>
>My goal is to develop a working model for defining cognitive frames.
>Relevance Theory looks like it might significantly contribute to the
>theoretical structure for a project of this nature, so I am taking a look at
>it. As a test case the verb CWR (Ex. 32:4) provides a problem challenging
>enough to smoke out weakness in the theoretical model.

Clay, I only criticised a very small part of Gutt's argument. Plenty of
what he has written deals with application of RT to written texts, and
not only to translation. I would advise you to read his book if you want
to understand the application of RT to ancient texts.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/