[b-hebrew] connections b/w semitic and indo-european languages

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Tue Aug 17 11:50:07 EDT 2004

On 17/08/2004 15:26, Jason Hare wrote:

>Trevor & Liz,
>
>Do we have any records of the Hittite language that
>the original question regarded? Liz gave two examples,
>/pardes/ and /dat/, of loan words from Persian. Do we
>have evidence of other specific Indo-European
>languages that might have left an influence on early
>Hebrew?

There are surviving Hittite texts, which could be a good source of data
on any such early loans. But I don't have more data on such loans.

As for genetic affiliations, they are likely to be very early, long
before written texts in any language. You might like to look at the
Nostratic hypothesis of a common root for all the world's languages
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nostratic). There are also people who try
to derive Indo-European languages from early Hebrew, but they are well
outside the linguistic mainstream.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/