[b-hebrew] Relevance Theory & Hebrew Semantics

MarianneLuban at aol.com MarianneLuban at aol.com
Tue Aug 17 01:06:57 EDT 2004

In a message dated 8/16/2004 2:04:28 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
peterkirk at qaya.org writes:

> >... the type of ark described in the Torah made by
> >Bezalel et al, conforms exactly to the type of portable shrine seen during
> the
> >New Kingdom, (beginning with the 18th Dynasty) in which effigies of the
> gods
> >were transported. ...
> >

> David Rohl ("From Eden to Exile" p.201) states that "It was designed in
> the form of an Egyptian robing box, countless numbers of which Bezalel
> had made during his time as a slave in the royal workshops of Avaris.
> The one difference was that this box was portable..." Are such boxes in
> fact attested from the 13th dynasty or earlier?

Hmmm...maybe the ark was really built to hold the "coat of many colors"
(after a thorough dry-cleaning) and then put into service as a shrine.  Maybe Rohl
found a statue of Bezalel at Avaris, too, and that's why he knows so much
about him--when nobody else knows a blessed thing about the man except that he was
apparently a master-craftsman.  Sure--the Egyptians always had boxes, but you
can believe me when I tell you the ark, as described in the Torah is no
clothes chest--but a shrine.  Or, don't believe me.  As you choose.  I have seen a
great many pictures of AE clothes chest--but not a single one that comes even
close to the description of the ark.  Walter Mattfield--where are you?  Don't
you have a picture of a typical portable shrine somewhere online?