[b-hebrew] Relevance Theory & Hebrew Semantics

Peterson, Trevor M 06PETERSON 06PETERSON at cua.edu
Mon Aug 16 13:21:24 EDT 2004

Although RT seems to presuppose a spoken-language situation, I think the same thing is generally true of anything in or around modern linguistic methodology. The question then becomes, how well can we apply such ideas to written texts or other media? I'm not sure that the medium is so much the issue here as the communicative setting. Take the b-hebrew forum as an example. I suspect that RT works reasonably well as applied to our discussions. Granted, there are elements of communication that are difficult to convey in writing, but the give-and-take of regular communication is still there. We can think of it on a continuum with face-to-face communication, telephone conversation, and conversation by relay, teletype, instant messaging, etc. On the other hand, the scenario is somewhat different when we come to a formal, recorded presentation, whether that presentation is recorded in writing, on an audio CD, a DVD, etc. What fundamentally changes is the give-and-take. It may be that if someone publishes an article in a peer-reviewed journal someone else will publish a response six months or a year later, and they can go back and forth like that, but generally speaking, when you write an article or book or what have you, you aren't expecting a dialog. So you present yourself differently, and the reader also acts differently, and that's where I think we might find some of these dialog-based theories running aground. As a reader of an ancient text, where there is no chance whatsoever that I will be able to communicate with the human author, I'm left to muddle along the best I can. I might read with the assumption that the author was following certain conventions of communication, and a theory like RT might help me process the implications, but I think you're right that there could be problems.

Trevor Peterson
CUA/Semitics