[b-hebrew] Re: Davka

Shoshanna Walker rosewalk at concentric.net
Mon Aug 16 10:53:39 EDT 2004

I think I said something like:  "The law is davka to enable us to approach the holiness...."

Meaning that the law is ESPECIALLY (my definition), or PRECISELY (Yigal's definition) for that purpose....

Shoshanna

  Thanks, Yigal, I stand corrected.

  When Shoshana mentioned that a davka was something that connects us to the sacred, or something very similar to that (sorry, I don't have her message before me, so if I misstated what she said, it was not intentional) it appeared to me that "davka" is an anglicization of a yiddishization of a Hebrew word meaning to join, adhere or stick to, much the same way "gonef" and "tsuris" came from Hebrew.

  Now I have a question, what does being precise have to do with connecting us with the sacred?

  Karl W. Randolph.