[b-hebrew] Amalekites followup!

Michael Banyai Banyai at t-online.de
Sun Aug 15 11:40:00 EDT 2004

Dear Yigal,

I must add a short follow-up to my previous posting.

Usoos with his brother Samemrumos as adorated in Tyre are, at least the first of them, eponymous heroes of Tyre. Usoos name bearing resemblances to (akkad. and Neo-Assyrian) Ushu, that is mainland Tyre. The native name may have been Usu/Uzu.

A second Uz is reported by the bible as a part of Edom (Job, Lamentations, I Moses 36:28).

It is therefore understandable when a biblical redactor should have pasted together the two Uzes (Uzzis), applying the Phoenician myth to Edom and falsely reconstructing an amusing family story regarding Jacob.

Best regards,

Bányai Micahel
Stuttgart