[b-hebrew] Torah

MarianneLuban at aol.com MarianneLuban at aol.com
Fri Aug 13 21:31:20 EDT 2004

In a message dated 8/13/2004 4:39:12 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
rosewalk at concentric.net writes:

> Who's confused?  Not I.
>
> It's those who cannot bring themselves to believe in the Divine
> Origin of Torah, who are confused.
>
> Shabbat Shalom - lighting candles (in NY) right now!

Nothing wrong with lighting Shabbat candles.  That is a lovely custom.  But
this is a list for scholarly discourse--not fundamentalist insistences that all
who do not believe "as we do" must be confused.   The Torah was written by
humans.  Like every other ANE text.  Just because it contains great wisdom
doesn't make it anything more than a product of a certain time--and a superstitious
time at that.  The Torah is a tribute to a very long memory and a need to
preserve it--a remarkable achievement of a people and quite unprecedented in its
thoroughness.  Divine inspiration?  Well--whatever it is that inspires any
great work.  When I listen to Puccini, I don't think of God.  I think of the
capability for genius in the human race, a thing that is almost denegrated by
attributing it to an ephemeral "higher power".

Please, fundamentalists--go in peace.  But do not try to divide this forum
into "believers" and "unenlightened".