Genesis as history, was [b-hebrew] Amalekites!

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Fri Aug 13 19:19:08 EDT 2004

Yigal:

Or does Genesis claim that it is based on previous sources?

I can’t point to any written sources, but I have heard in lectures that there was an ancient literary style that went out of use about the same time as Joseph went down to Egypt. That literary style had the title and author at the end of the document, not at the beginning as is modern practice. The phrase which points to the end of the document is )LH TWLDWT “These are the bringing forth
” followed by the author and title. There is nothing to say that Jacob couldn’t have kept track of his brother and his brother’s descendents through grandsons and even some greatgrandsons, seeing as Jacob was 110 when he went to Egypt.

If what the lecturers said was true, then Moses had earlier documents before him as he wrote Genesis. Did he merely transcribe them, or did he rewrite and edit them as did the writers of Samuel, Kings and Chronicles? We cannot rule out that Genesis is a historical document in the same manner as modern histories.

Just because modern tribal societies handle geneologies a certain way, does not mean that Genesis handled them the same way?

As for Genesis 10, that was a different situation. That was shortly after the Flood when people still lived long life spans and there could have been a doubling of the population every 15–30 years for several generations, and the earth was empty of people. Under those circumstances, a man who is still spry at maybe 150, could lead his children, children’s children, etc. numbering possibly up to a thousand or more, go to an empty land and start a new country claiming a large swath of territory, naming it after himself. By the time Abraham came along, most of the land had long been claimed, the good land settled and the rest gradually being filled in, at least in the ANE.

As for Esau’s grandson Amelek, seeing as he was born long after the tribe or territory of Amelek was mentioned in other documents, pretty much rules out his being the founder of the Amelekites.

Karl W. Randolph.